CINCINNATI – FC Cincinnati announced on Monday it had signed 2018 USL Championship Defender of the Year Forrest Lasso ahead of the club’s debut season in Major League Soccer.
A two-time USL Championship All-League selection, Lasso is the third consecutive USL Defender of the Year to sign with an MLS club the following offseason, joining Sebastian Ibeagha (New York City FC) and Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), with Long this year claiming MLS Defender of the Year honors.
“Being able to play in MLS has been something I’ve been trying to achieve since I started playing soccer, so for me, it is very satisfying,” Lasso said. “There’s been a lot of hard work over the years, and I had faith in myself that I would eventually get the opportunity. I’m grateful to the FC Cincinnati organization for giving me this chance and I couldn’t be more excited to get ready for next year.”
Lasso joined FC Cincinnati prior to its final USL season on Nov. 20, 2017. During his lone year with the Orange and Blue at the USL level, Lasso made 29 appearances, with 28 starts, and scored three goals. He had previously earned All-League honors with the Charleston Battery in the 2017 season, and overall has made 84 appearances in the USL Championship while recording 10 goals.
“Forrest was a massive part of our team this past year and we feel he’s earned a spot to play at the MLS level next season,” FC Cincinnati Head Coach Alan Koch said. “While his potential has always been evident, Forrest’s dedication to improvement each and every week played a key part in his fantastic season. We look forward to Forrest’s continued growth and are eager to see him embrace the challenge of playing in MLS next year.”