Photo courtesy Darren Abate / San Antonio FC
SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio FC announced on Thursday it had re-signed defender Stephen McCarthy for the 2018 USL season, pending league and federation approval. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.
One of the key members of the USL’s best defense in the 2017 season, McCarthy’s 4,103 minutes of action across all competitions for SAFC rank second in the club’s history since its inception. Last season the center back recorded 26 appearances, finishing second on the team with 111 clearances, 14 blocks and 47 aerial duels won, while ranking third in interceptions (46) as he formed a strong tandem with 2017 USL Defender of the Year Sebastien Ibeagha.
“I am excited to continue to represent my home state and the city of San Antonio with SAFC,” said McCarthy. “We made a lot of progress from season one to season two in 2017, and I look forward to joining up with the players and coaches to continue that improvement in 2018.”
Overall in his two seasons with SAFC, McCarthy has made 45 USL appearances, making 42 starts and playing in 3,713 minutes. He has added three goals and an assist along with two Open Cup appearances over the course of the last two years.
“We’re really excited to have Stephen return in 2018,” said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell. “Last year was a big year for him, he became an integral part of the team and his dedication and professionalism were evident every day. He’s earned the opportunity to help lead this team this season.”
McCarthy joined San Antonio prior to the 2016 season after spending the 2015 campaign with Finnish first division side Kuopion Palloseura (KuPS). McCarthy was originally drafted by the New England Revolution (MLS) in the second round (24th overall) of the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. The defender went on to make 69 appearances from 2011-14 with the Revs, scoring two goals, and being named the Revolution’s Defender of the Year in 2012.