Photo courtesy David Calvert / Reno 1868 FC
RENO, Nev. – Reno 1868 FC announced on Friday its first roster moves of the offseason, with six players signing new contracts with the club and two players having contract options taken. The signings are pending league and federation approval.
Returning to Reno in the new year are defenders Brent Richards, Jordan Murrell and Brenton Griffiths, midfielders Seth Casiple, Luis Felipe and Darwin Espinal, and forwards Brian Brown and Boxi Yomba.
“We are excited about the eight players who we’ve already re-signed,” Russell said. “They represent the top-quality soccer that was on display at Greater Nevada Field last year. We cannot wait to build on this foundation we’ve set for 2018 as we add more players to the Reno roster.”
Both Murrell and Richards logged more than 2,250 minutes of action in Reno’s inaugural season, while the midfielder duo of Luis Felipe and Casiple combined for nine goals and six assists. Brown also contributed to the club’s record-setting attack with three goals and five assists on the season.
Reno General Manager Andy Smith said Friday’s announcement was a starting point for 2018, and that the club remained in talks with other players from the past season.
“This first wave of re-signings only lays a foundation of what we aim to build next year,” Smith said. “We’re still hoping to bring back additional players from last season’s squad in the next coming weeks.
“The players returning have a combined 21 goals between them and we’re ready to put an exciting product on the pitch at Greater Nevada Field.”
1868 FC also announced it had declined options on midfielder Jordan Roberts and forward Mackenzie Pridham.