skip navigation

Saint Louis Rallies for OT Victory

By NICHOLAS MURRAY -, 05/17/17, 10:13PM EDT


David’s stoppage-time equalizer, Angulo's winner lifts STLFC in Wichita

File photo courtesy Mark Guthrel / Saint Louis FC

WICHITA, Kan. – Saint Louis FC trailed three times, and missed a late penalty kick, but came through when it counted most to earn a 4-3 overtime victory against FC Wichita in the Second Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday night at the Stryker Soccer Complex. Tyler David’s goal in second-half stoppage time sent the game to overtime, while Jose Angulo’s goal five minutes into the extra session proved enough for victory.

Saint Louis FC will visit the Premier Development League’s Michigan Bucks in the Third Round on May 31 after the Bucks recorded a 1-0 victory against Indy Eleven in one of the night’s major upsets.

Wichita took the lead early from the penalty spot as Leo Sosa scored from the penalty spot. Milan Petosevic came close to an equalizer for Saint Louis in the 20th minute, but the visitors got back on level terms 12 minutes before the halftime break as A.J. Cochran put home a finish from a corner kick.

Saint Louis threatened to take the lead on the hour-mark as Mats Bjurman shot just wide, but two minutes later Wichita regained the lead as Gordy Gurson knocked home the rebound from a shot that came back off the crossbar. STLFC’s Octavio Guzman was then denied off a free kick by Wichita goalkeeper Mark Weir, but the visitors again pulled level when Angulo notched his first of the night in the 71st minute.

The game swung back in Wichita’s favor with nine minutes to go, though, as Deri Corfe scored with a shot from outside the penalty area for a third lead for the hosts. Wichita was reduced to 10 men, and conceded a penalty kick in the first minute of stoppage time that appeared set to hand Saint Louis a lifeline, but Angulo shot over the crossbar to put his side on the edge of elimination.

With stoppage time running out, however, David came through for the visitors. A move down the left side saw the ball come to Angulo 30 yards out, and his deep cross to the far post was headed home by David to send the game to overtime.

Now up a man, Saint Louis took advantage of its man-advantage, and just five minutes in Angulo found the net with what proved to be the winner. Picking up possession again on the left, Angulo whipped a ball into the penalty area that eluded both Petosevic and Weir and found the back of the net to give the visitors their first lead of the match. That would be all Saint Louis needed, as it proceeded to close out the win to survive and advance.

Follow the USL Championship

Latest News

Most Read News

Latest Videos