skip navigation

Arteaga, Wild Each Strike Twice as Indy Earns Victory

By Staff, 03/31/21, 7:48AM EDT


Law also notches goal, assist in 6-0 preseason win against DePauw University

Photo courtesy Indy Eleven

WESTFIELD, Ind. – Manuel Arteaga and Gordon Wild each scored twice in the opening half as Indy Eleven raced out to an early lead on its way to a 6-0 victory against DePauw University on Tuesday afternoon in a preseason game at Grand Park.

In its third win in as many outings to begin its spring training slate, Indy also saw newcomer Nicky Law notch a goal and assist in the second half.

The Boys in Blue dominated possession to open the match, but they had only half-chances to show for their efforts until the 12th minute. That’s when Wild took possession of a loose ball near the arc at the top of the penalty area before driving toward the penalty spot and firing low to the left corner of the net.

Less than two minutes later, Indy doubled its early advantage when midfielder Gershon Koffie’s deft ball over the top found Ayoze in the left side of the Tigers’ penalty area. The Spanish midfielder had the option to shoot but instead squared across the six to an unmarked Arteaga for a tap-in finish, giving Indy a 2-0 lead and the Venezuelan striker his second goal of the preseason.

Ayoze went looking for a goal of his own in the 20th minute but missed just wide, and Arteaga was inches away from his second in the 25th minute only for his bending free kick from 25 yards to carom off the left post and the DePauw goalkeeper before going behind.

Arteaga wouldn’t be denied three minutes later, however, as he cleaned up the rebound from inside the six-yard area after an initial shot of a guest player had been parried. A minute later, Wild matched Arteaga as he used the considerable southernly wind at his back to catch the Tigers’ goalkeeper off his line with a lobbed finish from roughly 35 yards.

The change of ends allowed DePauw to enjoy the benefits of the wind and a little more possession to begin the second half, but the one-way traffic Indy established in the first half ultimately returned. However, the first clear-cut chance of the second stanza for either side came in the 65th minute on a Tigers’ counterattack, a blast from 30 yards coming near Eleven goalkeeper Bobby Edwards’ right post but ultimately bouncing wide.

Instead it was Law who notched the first goal of the second half for Indiana’s Team in the 67th minute as he accepted a short layoff from a guest forward in the penalty area before slotting low through traffic from 12 yards. A minute later Law returned the favor immediately as his cross found the same guest player for a finish of his own to push the Eleven lead to 6-0.

Indy Eleven will return to exhibition action on Saturday, April 10, with a friendly against USL League One side Forward Madison FC in another closed door affair at Grand Park.

Follow the USL Championship

Most Recent News

Most Read News

Latest Videos