skip navigation

GAMEDAY ROUNDUP: Saint Louis Strikes Late, Earns Draw with SKC II

By Staff, 08/05/20, 7:11PM EDT


Union II Rally to First Win in Defeat of Red Bulls II; Battery earn draw deep in stoppage time against Atlanta

Saint Louis FC and the Charleston Battery both found stoppage time equalizers in their respective contests, while the Philadelphia Union II’s youth movement found its first win of the season under new leadership on the sideline in Wednesday night’s action in the Championship.


FENTON, Mo. – Saint Louis FC’s Phanuel Kavita scored deep in second-half stoppage time to salvage a point for the hosts in an entertaining clash against Sporting Kansas City II at West Community Stadium.

Looking to add to their impressive recent run of form, SKC II had the best chance of the first half when Enoch Mushagalusa got in behind the STLFC defense but had his shot well saved by STLFC goalkeeper John Berner before the defense recovered to clear. Mushagalusa put the visitors ahead 11 minutes into the second half, however, as he was in the right place to clean up after Wilson Harris’ initial shot from the left side of the penalty area had been saved.

Saint Louis almost hit back immediately as Sam Fink picked out Kyle Greig with a ball over the top that allowed the STLFC forward to strike first time from the right side of the penalty area, but Sporting goalkeeper Brooks Thomson got down well to save. Sporting then almost doubled its lead in the 68th minute when a low cross through the penalty area by Jacob Davis came to Fredlin Mompremier on the left side of the box, but his shot rattled the crossbar and caromed away.

SKC II’s Dominik Resetar also had a chance to add an insurance goal with six minutes to go only for his shot to go wide of the right post after a nice slipped pass by Jaret Townsend. Saint Louis made the visitors pay for their missed opportunities with almost the final kick of the match as off a corner from the right the ball pinballed around the penalty area and fell to Kavita, who fired home a low finish into the right side of the net to earn his side a draw. Man of the Match

Phanuel Kavita, Saint Louis FC – Kavita struck decisively when given the chance to level for the hosts, capping a display that also saw him complete 52 of 60 passes, make eight recoveries and win 2 of three tackles.


KENNESAW, Ga. – The Charleston Battery’s Mauro Cichero scored in the fourth minute of second half stoppage time to earn a draw for the visitors against ATL UTD 2 at Fifth Third Bank Stadium on Wednesday night

Looking to rebound from a defeat last time out, the Battery had the first big chance in the 24th minute when Cichero fired just high after a free kick from the right fell nicely for him to strike in the penalty area. Atlanta’s Baboucarr Njie also went close with a shot from 25 yards that just flashed over the crossbar, but it took until early in the second half for either goalkeeper to be tested as Atlanta’s Ben Lundgaard made a good save to deny Charleston’s Robbie Crawford on a free kick that was headed to the top-left corner.

The hosts took the lead in the 67th minute, however, as Phillip Goodrum played an inventive pass over the Battery defense to an advancing Amadou Macky Diop, who controlled the looping well with his first touch and then angled home a finish into the left corner of the net from the right side of the penalty area. The Battery found an equalizer deep in second-half stoppage time, though, as a knockdown by Nicque Daley found Cichero who hit a first-time finish into the bottom-right corner of the net to secure an important point for the visitors. Man of the Match

Phillip Goodrum, Atlanta United 2 – Goodrum had a tremendous assist on Atlanta’s goal, had two key passes overall and completed 5 of 5 dribbles and 25 of 29 passes in a good performance for the hosts.


CHESTER, Pa. – The Union II claimed their first win of the season as 16-year-olds Patrick Bohui and Jack Jasinski both found the net to snap the Red Bulls II’s two-game winning streak at Subaru Park.

Playing their first game under interim Head Coach Marlon LeBlanc, the Union II flew into the lead after 19 seconds when Bohui took advantage of a mistake by New York goalkeeper Wallis Lapsley and finished into the open net. The goal was tied for the ninth-fastest in Championship history, while the 16-year-old Bohui became the 12th-youngest scorer in the league’s history. As the half progressed, however, the Red Bulls II began to build up pressure and in the 37th minute Sebastian Elney converted from the penalty spot after Union II goalkeeper Mitch Budler had committed a foul in the area.

New York took the lead six minutes later as Caden Clark turned the ball over in midfield and released Cherif Dieye with a quick pass forward. The first-year pro entered the left side of the penalty area, feinted inside before dragging the ball back onto his left foot and finished low to the near post. The Union II hit back just before halftime, though, as Jack McGlynn scored his first professional goal as a flicked pass to Axel Picazo drew the goalkeeper and allowed him to slide the ball to McGlynn for a simple finish.

Picazo then almost gave Philadelphia the lead 12 minutes into the second half as his lifted finish hit the top of the crossbar and went behind for a goal kick. The Union II grabbed the lead back with 19 minutes to go, however, as McGlynn sent Jasinski through on a breakaway that saw Jasinski shoot low past Lapsley into the bottom-left corner of the net. A day younger than Bohui, Jasinski usurped him to become the 12th-youngest scorer in league history, and his goal proved to be the winner as New York was unable to find a late response. Man of the Match

Jack McGlynn, Philadelphia Union II – McGlynn recorded a goal and assist, had three key passes overall and went 4 of 4 in duels and 3 of 3 in tackles while recording four interceptions defensively.

Follow the USL Championship

Most Recent News

Most Read News

Latest Videos