Las Vegas Lights FC's Javan Torre (left) and Jordan Murrell (right) show off the club's first two home uniforms for the 2020 USL Championship season, revealed on Wednesday. | Photo courtesy Las Vegas Lights FC
Good morning, here’s your morning USL Championship Tea for today.
Never let it be said that Las Vegas Lights FC takes its Sports Illustrated-bestowed title of the “Most Interesting Team in the World” lightly.
While other clubs across the Championship have already been rolling some tremendous new kits ahead of this weekend’s season kickoff, Las Vegas has raised the bar again. On Monday, it announced the club will wear 17 different designs for its home games during the 2020 USL Championship season, and on Tuesday it teased the first of those, set to be announced later today.
Here’s what we know so far.
Opelac learned his submissions had been adopted by the club for the launch of its season-long rollout when he was surprised in his classroom in front of his fellow students by Lights FC Owner & CEO Brett Lashbrook and Cash the Soccer Rocker, the team’s official mascot.
Lights FC is still taking submissions for the project at www.lasvegaslightsfc.com/jerseydesign, which is being completed in conjunction with kit manufacturer BLK.
“We are really excited to wear a different jersey each home regular-season match this year and to include so many fans in our design process,” said Lashbrook. “So, if there are any fans that don’t like the initial designs we have the absolutely perfect solution – keep submitting new design concepts & ideas. Let’s have some fun with it!”
UPDATE: The new jerseys are here, and they're spectacular.
- Louisville City FC officially accepted the keys to its new home at Lynn Family Stadium on Tuesday afternoon, and to commemorate the occasion the club revealed an amazing timelapse video of the build.
- LouCity also announced it had sold out of single-game tickets for its home opener at the new venue against Birmingham Legion FC on Saturday, April 11, a game that will be featured as the USL on ESPN Game of the Week.
- Big-picture projects like Lynn Family Stadium have become the goal for future USL expansion, with developments like Tidewater Landing in Pawtucket, Rhode Island an example of the direction the league is aiming to take in the future.
- Expansion in USL League One is also a hot topic, and the USL’s Steven Short and Travis Lamprecht joined the TriadSocPod this week to talk about recent developments in High Point, North Carolina.
- San Diego Loyal SC hosts its inaugural home opener on Saturday against Las Vegas Lights FC, but the club had a trial run at Torero Stadium when it hosted Panamanian side Costa Del Este two weekends ago. Via SoccerNation.com, here’s what fans thought of the experience.
- Following Tuesday morning’s devastating tornado in East Nashville, Birmingham Legion FC and supporters group the Magic City Brigade are accepting donations to help the recovery efforts in collaboration with Nashville SC.
- Returning players to the Charlotte Independence have had Sunday’s season-opener against Sporting Kansas City II circled for a while, and as the Charlotte Post’s Ashley Mahoney found out the entire squad is aiming for a surge up the standings this season.
- San Antonio FC has a number of new faces gearing up for its fifth season in the Championship, KSAT’s Larry Ramirez took a look ahead at what the new season might bring at Toyota Field.
- If you’ve watched USL Championship games over the past two years, especially those hosted by Phoenix Rising FC, you’ll likely have heard Tyler Terens on play-by-play regularly. Well, now the talented young announcer is joining the Chicago Fire FC broadcast team alongside Arlo White and Tony Meola.