skip navigation

Gameday Report: August 1, Week 22

By Staff, 08/01/19, 7:30PM EDT


Hartford records first shutout in victory against Steel FC

Hartford Athletic broke a three-game winning streak with victory against Bethlehem Steel FC in Thursday’s action in the USL Championship.


CHESTER, Pa. – Hartford recorded its first shutout in club history as it pulled away for victory against Steel FC at Talen Energy Stadium. The Athletic twice threatened inside the opening 15 minutes as Danny Bedoya fired just wide of the left post with a spectacular scissor-kick effort and Alex Dixon had a low shot to the right corner tipped wide by Steel FC goalkeeper Todd Morton. Bethlehem had the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot in the 22nd minute, but after Hartford’s Frederick Due was whistled for leaving the goal line early to save James Chambers’ initial shot, the Athletic’s shot-stopper saved the retake as well with a diving save to his right to keep the game scoreless. Six minutes later Hartford took the lead as it stole possession in the attacking half, allowing Dixon to set up Bedoya for a low finish to the left corner. Hartford’s Mads Jorgensen almost doubled the lead in the 32nd minute with a long-range blast that was parried by Morton, and the Steel FC goalkeeper also blocked the rebound chance by Nicky Downs, but the Athletic struck again five minutes into the second half as Dixon shot low into the right corner from the left side of the penalty area. Sebastian Dalgaard almost added a third for the visitors shortly after but was denied by Morton after getting in behind the Bethlehem defense, while Due made another big save to deny Steel FC’s Axel Picazo as he broke in on the right in the 65th minute. Steel FC was reduced to 10 men with 14 minutes to go when Ben Ofeimu was sent off for his second yellow card, and Hartford almost found the net shortly after as a low shot by Ryan Williams was saved by Morton, but with six minutes to go Hartford’s Wojcieck Wojcik fired a low shot into the left corner of the net to wrap up the win for the visitors. Man of the Match

Frederick Due, Hartford Athletic – Due recorded the Athletic’s first shutout in club history with three saves, including a crucial early penalty kick save to keep the game scoreless on the road.

Follow the USL Championship

Most Recent News

Most Read News

Latest Videos